Tuesday, 28 August 2012



Maturity is all about accepting that life is going to hurl dollops of boredom at you, and you've just got to sit back and watch as it happens to you. I am not quite fond of the existentialist chaps whom I don't understand but I suppose I at times get why they were so cranky about life. Too much of maturity does that to you.


But of course, the happy-and-peaceful romantic comedies of the world are just going to make you believe that what is happening is funny, and in the long run you are going to spend your life crankily-happily-ever-after with the chick of your dreams, or something similarly fairytalish.


This is what I believed for a long time, till education happened to enter my mind like some obnoxiously stingy smell that you just can't avoid on the road even if you put your handkerchief in front of your nose like you are kidnapping your own self. With age comes excessive questions getting thrown at you about life and other profound nuisances. I ocassionally wish to retort that I can't think so much as I am going to die someday anyway. Might as well be peaceful in the meantime. Education and maturity nexus will question you as to what you want to be and become, whether a snooty academician who throws brillianty obscure post-modernist discourses on the dining table, or someone who works for a living, and then utilising the money to live life one's own way. It will be a bit sad if I find myself being defined and redefined by the small number of people I know, on the basis of my education or the lack of it.


Sometimes I wish to be more, or less, than a mere definition of educational degrees and professional jargons. Sometimes I guess one would like to stick to the childhood fairytale dreams that might give one a small life, but a valuable one, to me and to people I appreciate. But if scholastic intellectual brouhahas crept into everyday life, in every mundane experiences, then I suppose much of this world will remain unappreciated.

5 comments:

Sayan said...

Contemplative aren't you? :) Well its nice to see other people over-thinking as much as I. Sometimes I think that the ability to analyse is a curse: one ends up too much of it. At other times it is our mind that delights us with its infinite capacity of comprehension.

I really liked your honesty. It was a good read in that it felt so real. Usually we are all protecting or veiling ourselves behind walls of words so it was humbling and educative to read something so sincere.

In fact, I have a piece of contemplation of my own that I wish you to read. If it's not too much trouble:

http://charcterized-chaos.blogspot.in/2012/08/love.html

Aditya Kasavaraju said...

The line about kidnapping oneself is hilarious. Why worry about life when we are all going to die someday!

Eon Heath said...

Hey, Hi

well life is quite simple actually, we make the choices thrown at us look so Goliath that we are overwhelmed by it. Choosing is simple, just opt for the choice that will bring peace to you, will let you have a good nights sleep. Nothing else really matters more in the long run...

Regards,
Eon...
The guy you dont know...

Olive Oyl said...

@chap i don't know: bang on. but i suppose we can get confused between what will bring us peace and what won't. so, ultimately confusion prevails. too much ideas in the head can do that :P

Olive Oyl said...

@sayan: boredom induces me to indulge in a bit of honesty here and there. :D @aditya: bang on. things couldn't be more simply put! :)