Friday, 27 July 2012

On leaving/arriving elsewhere

Much like others I thought of writing a sentimental note on leaving the city for a couple of years. Then the cliched saying that the home is where the heart is reminded me of the diagram of the heart which we used to draw in school, that shattered the concept of heart much popularised by yash Chopra movies. The idea of the auricles and the ventricles and all that complications spoilt the whole romanticism that I was intent on outpouring, Nirupa Roy style, on this writing of mine. Anyway, I guess you've got the hang of it and wish to kill me now.

 Since I can remember bits and pieces of my life, the city has never let me be alone. I've found familiarity in the air as I trudged along the city in trams and buses, ferries and boats and trains. I've often felt the confidence that if I ever felt alone, the riverside would be there to make me feel that everything's fine after all. As I'll leave, I won't probably go with too heavy a heart. I'm looking forward with much positive gusto. But I'll probably be leaving with some tinges of a confused soul, a little less dreamy about things I were confident about in the past, and strange nostalgia about places that made some moments of my life breathtakingly beautiful.

11 comments:

quartertoinsane said...

This is heart felt too, i think. although this is the veins and ventricles wala heart... good luck!

Aditya Kasavaraju said...

Good luck :D

Zeebs said...

I'm going to have this feeling in 6 months. Whoo.

Olive Oyl said...

thank you for all the good luck :D and zeebs, all the best ;)

Sayan said...

It's really nice how you love your city. I feel the same way. In fact, I'm worse. I start pining for the safe and familiar confines of Delhi within a few days of going to another city. Sometimes I think that's the reason I never truly liked any other city I went to. Trite advice? Well just feel your new city, don't judge it. All the best!

Sayan said...

Unrelated -

Listen to "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" by Porcupine Tree (Album Deadwing).

A.D. said...

This seemed like a prologue to "A Hot Noon In Malabar"

Olive Oyl said...

@Sayan: with various animals in the campus, thankfully I am not getting too much spare time to think of anything else. ;) I like this city. Has a charm of its own.

Olive Oyl said...

@Ankan: your sense of correlation is strange, but I liked it. ;) Welcome back out here. It seems that you are back on the prowl on the blogsphere like in the distant past.

Sayan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sayan said...

You're in my city! Hahaha! Who'd have thunk it?

And also, you're in the same class as one of my friends! I think you know Anandi? Small world indeed! (not a pun on her size)