Saturday, 12 March 2011

On Insignificance

As I watched the waters engulf bits and pieces of Japan forever, I wondered where we all stand. It gives the same feeling that one gets when she sees the skies. The sheer grandeur makes one realise the insignificance of our little lives in the cosmic world. It obviously has greater things in mind, therefore while the earth on its way towards its usual spin suddenly trips, it takes with it the lives of people in a jiffy, like a trot of a small man that accidentally kills a few ants.



The cosmos didn't give us fellows much power, neither does it care much. We fellows learnt a few tricks during the evolution and think that we are the smartest of the lot. As our heads grew big our ideas shrank and it revolved around the superiority of mankind upon the rest of the creatures, and then the superiorty of man over man. But let's face it, even if that Darwininan monkey is laughing at our present volatile condition, I wouldn't trade places with it. I'm almost content with my present comfort, hoping to gather some more. I'm not sure if I shall ever be happy with everything I have, but then, that's what human nature is like I suppose. I'm more or less content.



But somewhere down the line, however important and magnanimous our evolution might appear to be, we are still a rtiny speck in the cosmic world, that lives for only a fraction of time before getting back to dust. It is probably this realisation of our insignificance in this larger universe that makes one create a God to symbolise hope and power of the great great unknown. We are still the little selfish creatures that swarm around the surface of the earth, and only a little tripping of the earth, some burps and hiccups is all that it takes to make us realise how insignificant we really are.

4 comments:

Eon Heath said...

Hey, Hi
what you say is true, we are a very insignificant piece of the maze...
n its human nature after all to assume our importance. what you say about the creation of god for hope, right. but have you thought of it as another of our excuse or another aspect of human nature? i.e. we need someone to point our fingers too..and god being anonymous and a mute one too, he becomes the best person we can put the blame on...for eg.: we read the morning paper,see the devastation in Japan and then say, see wat god is doing, he really doesnt care for human race...
for humans its always been "ME" and "I"...

A nice post...
:)

Regards,
The Silhouette...
[the guy u dont know...] ;)

Olive Oyl said...

Hello, fellow I don't know: I do agree with you here. Also, when I feel that I'm in trouble, I think of Gods above, never otherwise. :P

Ganesh Dhamodkar said...

Hey Olive Oyl, yeah we are really insignificant when we think in terms of the cosmos, but in fact at somewhere midway between d really insignificant creatures and d almighty God.. Hmm, but we are nothin in frnt of d nature - water, fire, earth, wind - we are as hepless as an ant is, at least d and can be alive in all this turmoil, it has some previliges over us too..
Hmm, dun know what im writing.. Confused :) okay.. You write nice,
Sincerely, (in your words),
A mortal fellow :)

Ganesh Dhamodkar said...

Hi Olive Oyl, Thanx for replay. By the way, I have mentioned you (with your new specs) in my latest blog post... And the post title is also a kind of inspired..