Monday, 17 May 2010

On being twenty

And so God took six days to create everything that he had to create. On the seventh day he was very peaceful. He sat with a good ol' bottle of beer at the beach and patted his belly for all the good job that he did. millions of years later as he still was working on his muse called creating 'people' particularly for this country which he definitely likes to fill with a lot of that kind, he had some trash. As a form of divine dustbin he created me. And I survive as the last of its kind.

I shall turn 20 tomorrow and with divine blessings I shall carry with me to my next year some obnoxious bouts of fever. Hail Birthday spirit.

I shall be losing my teenagehood or whatever that is, though I still look like I can pass off as a pre- adolescent whiny kid. From tomorrow onwards I shall officially lose my right to throw tantrums that can be simply passed off with a remark 'it's her age'. I am now officially supposed to act grown-up like, answer politely to questions like 'why are you so thin' and 'why do you study so much' instead of answering with some badly construed sarcasm. Anyway sarcasm doesn't pay off anymore. Nowadays when I reply to these questions by saying that I am dieting/because I wan't to be the Ultimate Geek, people actually take me seriously.

Now that I am getting out of the so called formative ages, I am suposed to take stuff around the world very seriously. If I claim that the greatest philosophers on earth have been P. G. Wodehouse, Jerome K. Jerome, Calvin and Hobbes and Chandler Muriel Bing, then I shall have to be prepared for the divine kick in the posterior for committing a sin by omitting Marx and the likes. I shall have to hide my optimism in almost everything with a cynical realism about the world where I comment on almost everything with a i-know-about-this nod and continue with a how-the-world-is-changing kind of a sigh. And yeah the vague look to almost all questions thrown at me willl definitely have to go.

And so I shall enter a new decade of my life. And I shall survive.

P.S: None of these views on changing myself are actually going to be true. I shall bother about it when I am 90 and philosophical.

This has been dedicated to Chandrayee, Nibedita, Somrwita, Shreya, Tina and Sayantani. Without you, cribbing wouldn't have been so fun.

8 comments:

Ann Dee said...

Ah and I am just in time :)

I must say, I was reeling under pretty much the same feelings when I hit my twenties. And from the threshold of another decade (still a few years to go thankfully), I must tell you a secret, my dear lady...nothing changes the way we think they would.

And life's as rosy on this part of existence...gets rosier if U learn ur lessons well.

Love and prayers,
Ann Dee

Rajtilak Bhattacharjee said...

Happy B'Day (belated)! What a nice blog, pity that you don't write often. Mind going through my blog once and putting in a comment or two?

Caveman said...

Am not very good with birthday messages; but, i can't help leaving one on your blog, coz' i really want to send good wishes your way from the bottom of my heart. Forgive me for my inability to emote myself in a heartfelt manner... but i mean well. So here goes nothing and i'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed and am hoping that this message doesn't come across as cheesy.

"Dear Sohini, Congratulations on turning 20. Here's wishing that the years ahead envelope you in the pinkest of health, warm family ties, and all the happiness that a wonderful girl like you, i believe, truly deserves. And more than that... have a ball today :)"

-- Jay

Ganesh Dhamodkar said...

Hi, I just found your blog while random surfing. Nice writing style. By the way, I am following you.

Lost within myself said...

Just as someone said here..it is always the same....we are always on the other side of the river....to confess, i am also scared as hell to reach the next decade even tho it is still a few years away..but one can't grow up when one wants to or when one has to..it just happens. we like it or not.
And you should really start writing more seriously.....you do it strikingly well.....promise i will try my best to buy the first copy of it! :D

olive oyl said...

@Ann Dee: I'm sure things remain as good as we want them to be :)great to see you drop by!

@rajtilak bhattacharjee: thank you for your wishes :)

@Caveman: thank you so much. cheers to the tarzan spirit :D how are you doing?

@Sujoy Da: i'll start taking things srriously if you promise to buy the first million copies. :p

Akhil Vaid said...

Happy birthday. Maturity is overrated. And hip replacement surgery is underrated.

I should congratulate you on being closer to both. : )

olive oyl said...

@Shrink: thank you for enlightening me ;)