Monday, 30 November 2009

lessons learnt from an educational tour

College trips are these fast and furious things. All I can remember now is a hazy picture of lots of laughter and a lot more of disaster management. I also managed to measure my loser quotient: as the rest of the folks got zonked I watched NDTV.

I also remember the fact that a girl called me cuddly and tried to hug me much to my discomfort. God it’s only the girls, and only the weird ones who can understand that even I am hormonal. What has the Almighty made me into?

An important fact must be noted down: I bargained in Hindi which is merely adulterated Bengali. No wonder I could not reduce the prices much. One of my classmates bargained, claiming that we are students and we need to have our caution money and hence can’t afford to spend so much. I have also realised that mentally I am an aged aunt. I bought two laundry bags for home. Now that’s something only loud aunts and mothers are supposed to do.

Bangladeshi songs are way better than Bollywood. I have danced to it and have sung in my croaky voice without anyone even attempting to kill me. Bangladeshi rappers make Chiranjeevi look like Rock Hudson. (Check out the video here)

Men are good at carrying luggage. May the Almighty churn out their types as long as we female folks carry huge baggage. And that shall be till eternity.

Jodhpur ‘super fast’ express is running to make people nostalgic about the Partition and all that it entailed. One bunk is to be shared by three people, reservation or no reservation. It validates the great Indian philosophy of sharing with a big smile, however fake that may be.

Apart from other typical ages-old rules that are meant to be broken, Jain temples have made it mandatory for people to smoke out there. See last line in poster for confirmation. I'm not sure whether non-smokers are chucked out or not. I survived.

10 comments:

Aditya said...

lol hehe, i would love to visit that temple then :P and nice dig on chiranjeevi haha hilarious! :D

Caveman said...

Atlast! Good ol' piggo has finally written about her trip. Yahoo :D

I find point number 7 on the notice board quite fascinating... can literally picture a mobile phone waltzing its way - "tra-la-la-la-la" - into the temple, only to be apprehended at the entrance by a stern looking Shethji Anandji Kalyanji, for not carrying a ticket-ji!! %)

olive oyl said...

i breezed into the temple with leather belt and cell phone in tow. nothing happened :p

@aditya: that video has gained cult status in kolkata

Anandi said...

Where did you go? I've said this before, but whenever I read your posts I'm torn between the deepest sympathy and an overwhelming urge to laugh. And it is humor that always wins actually.

skinny.olive said...

@ anandi: udaipur, chittor and ajmer. it was fun :D

Anandi said...

Wow! Isn't Chittorgarh awesome? I wasn't brave enough to go up the tower though. I guess Udaipur is prettier.Mehrgarh's cfort's a lot more elaborate than most of the others in Rajasthan .

skinny.olive said...

chittorgarh is awesome :) but i prefer kumbhalgarh. it was like an indian version of Hogwarts with all the stairs and passages. :)

Anandi said...

I don't know about Hogwarts, but it's definitely more imposing than the rest of the forts. It's also supposed to be the most spartan and unembellished because it was of the Marwar clans not the Mewar clans.
I remember getting freaked at night over there because at that time, there was just one hotel in the whole place, the HRH one and you could hear weird animal noises in the middle of the night.

skinny.olive said...

creepy at night :O but mighty imposing. i could have been there for hours provided there was company :)

justfeltlike said...

Hahaha..funny. Umm, could you give me the directions to that temple plz :D