Thursday, 17 September 2009

Senti stuff. Posted strictly for myself ;-)

The problem with me is that whenever I am senti I can’t write anything. The thing is that I actually miss those days when I could spontaneously do whatever I wanted to, not that I can’t do that anymore, just that the blessed fellows who were my accomplices are hard to get hold of in these busy times, and a trip without them isn’t half as joyful. It would be like, hopping on to a tram and going till its last stoppage, and then coming back in the same way, virtually wasting hours of my life doing almost nothing, but then it made me really happy. And they say happiness extends lifetime, so I was not wasting time but adding more to it.

I have these weird desires to go to places. I like the sea more than the mountains. Those big things scare me bit and I end up being phobic that the wind is going to shove my down the hill slope. The sea is quite sensuous and I am always eager to take a snooze near it, as it works well with my lazy nature, with sporadic shots of hyper-active enthusiasm. I like being near rivers and seas and can even deal with lakes and all that. I really enjoy dangling my legs from the edges of Victoria Memorial’s semi-moat like thing and then taking a walk back through the interiors of the muddy-green Maidan where mules and horses laze around too, and where, as a child, I remember a rather unruly monkey, supposedly trained, almost eating up my balloon as I cursed the irate fellow amidst showers of tears. Prinsep and the river side is an old lover, from where our lives begun and we grew. There are times when I am bored and I think of the things that I enjoy the most. Around the Eden Gardens and across the field at night, Prinsep and the train, Dalhousie with an umbrella, four people and rain. It’s like poetry with a tune, and penning them down, almost profane.

14 comments:

Bhow bhow bhowie. said...

I can go to Prinsep ghat with you. ^.^

olive oyl said...

spare me the thought honey :p

Lost within myself said...

old times are always better times....u made me a little nostalgic about kolkata :|

Sohini said...

It's a lovely blog .. I guess every true Calcuttan will like it ...
I miss those days too , when my mom and dad used to take me to Outram Ghat Scoop , the only Icecream Parlour those times .. It seems ages ago now ... Now a sumptuous meal at some A grade restaurant cannot kindle that fire which a Blind Love Icecream and some french fries with the view of the Ganges could do ....
It was a different time - a time immemorial .

olive oyl said...

@sohini: you are not merely my namesake. scoop is exactly that :)

@lost: come back soon ;)

Bhow bhow bhowie. said...

:|

Aditya said...

Cool. My best friend now lives in Kolkata. Should visit some day.

infracaninophile said...

Most people confuse profane with propane, i wonder why.

Ipsita Shome said...

why have you missed S.S.Hogg's market?
It is one of the many heritage-sites in kolkata(calcutta I prefer though) and highly frequented place by the calcuttans.

olive oyl said...

missed it because i still go there almost too regularly. no reason for me to miss it. if you now go on mentioning more places i am going to make sure that you get swine flu.

halcyon said...

yeah
we should go to these places more often. but four people and one umbrella, naa never will we try that again :P

olive oyl said...

its getting better, today it was two people and two umbrellas, you and i being the smarter souls :p

T-REX said...

Are only calcuttans invited?

skinny.olive said...

everyone's invited, provided they are hot ;)