Tuesday, 22 September 2009

Parenting blues.

Not mine. My parents’. My mother was perhaps born a feminist. On being asked what she was going to do if she was cursed with two boys and not two angelic girls like us, she first looked at the hapless person (me) who had the audacity to pip in the question in a way as if it was outrageous for the person to think that she could ever produce anything as crass as boys. Then she replied that they would be packed off to boarding schools once off their nappies. So for quite some time my parents were pretty content with life, my sister and me. Both we siblings were pretty cute. (I was actually pretty till class one or so. If I maintained all of my cuteness it would have been pretty glorious for me.) My parents were content to think that girls are organised, clean, keeps their rooms nice and pink. But then I grew up. I don’t know what I will be doing if I stay at a hostel. Already there isn’t any space for me to sleep on the bed as it is adorned with books of all odd shapes and sizes with CDs strewn all over. my bed also happens to be the haven of lizards occasionally for whom I have a special long ruler to harass. I’ve seen rooms of boys which are cleaner. And this part especially saddens my mother the most. My parents are baffled as to where I got these particular genes from considering the fact that my mother, father and sister all three are always perfectly neat and tidy. (Also: all three are healthy wealthy and wise whereas I look like an anorexic cat.) Mother once rued that there was no point in producing a daughter if she can’t keep things clean. So I suppose now she is more kind towards the thoughts of young things of the male kind.

p.s: below: that's my sister trying to hold me. Take note of the bald patch on my head. That still exists.




12 comments:

Ipsita Shome said...

I tell you my mother would have loved to swap any other 2day olds from the nursing home had she knew that I would turn out "this" way.

Aditya said...

hehe hota hai hota hai ;)

Samadrita said...

Haven of lizards?Jesus!
That is so eww.There's nothing on this planet that I hate more. :X

olive oyl said...

@ipsita: we both are pretty similar :p

@aditya: i know :D

@ samadrita: it's easy to tackle lizards. just keep a long ruler and whenever they are near you, pick them up and throw them gently on some other distant wall. they'll be grateful. that's what i do. and yes don't touch the tails because they fall off at times :p

Ipsita Shome said...

you should be employed as the Pest control admin in the KMC

Satan Himself said...

pretty damn goood..

Lost within myself said...

well written confession of sorts. As for being neat, you don't need it. It is a proof of you being a grown up kid-girl who understands the importance of colors other than pink :P
more importantly, cuteness is a god given gift for most child..heck..to all kids....when u grow up..its different...then its mostly beauty in the eyes of the beholder. :|

olive oyl said...

@lost: i know beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. thus the beholder of my beauty is definitely drunk :p

@satan: thanks :D

@ipsita: can i do that after history hons?

Ipsita Shome said...

yes sure
If MBA pass outs can work in call centers then you are in a way respectable post lady. Baygon in the clutch of your palms you will be the bag-piper who saved the tinsel town :|

olive oyl said...

you should be a poet you know :p i love you ipsita, i sincerely mean this :O

Sohini said...

a lovely post .... Lizard part is a bit eew. there are lizards in my room too , but thy r happy on the walls.

olive oyl said...

@ namesake: :p there was once a snake in my room too :(