Sunday, 7 October 2007

Cinema-gaga

Some 'intellectuals' I know, do not watch Hindi movies. They also don't approve of any movie with excessive 'fun' factor. Therefore, according to these high and mighty 'intellectuals' (pseudo?) a neo-realism cinema is of course much better than a Meg Ryan's rom-com, and those who watch Meg Ryan romancing Tom Hanks or Billy Crystal, confound them.

I enjoy serious dramas, but I love romantic comedies and several Bollywood movies. I revel at Shah Rukh Khan's six packs. [ Yes, six packs. Not eight.] I enjoy the song and dance sequences. Yes, even those with the gravity defying sarees, [not the ones wore by the heroine. I am not a pervert. ] flowing all over the field [why, no idea.] while Jeetendra romances Jaya Prada or Sridevi. They are the true comic- capers. I love the romantic comedies like 'You've got mail', Sleepless in Seattle, I.Q, and family movies like Father of the Bride, and Cheaper by the dozen, and many others. I like the simplicity in these movies. Their simplicity makes me smile; and allows me to understand life much better, perhaps. It's not that I wouldn't watch a "Pianist" or "a Beautiful Mind". But I like watching movies dealing with the mundane details of everyday life. These movies have made me realise that one does not need to put an effort to be 'different'. The one who claims to be the 'Different' may actually be quite ordinary. We are, what we are. We don't need to pretend to be different from the crowd, just for the sake of it.

P.S: Dedicated to a friend who was 'shocked' when I explained that I was going out to watch a Bollywood movie in the cinema hall.

0 comments: